We’re at LeakyCon! If you aren’t sure what LeakyCon is well… you’re terribly not in “the know.” LeakyCon is a Harry Potter fan conference. This year it’s taking place in Chicago and bringing many fun fan events and festivities to the city. I’ll be covering the convention all weekend long. Look for my reports and coverage here at TheYoungFolks.com, on our Twitter (@TYFofficial) and our Facebook!
I started off the convention today with a press conference with some Harry Potter actors. Evanna Lynch (who plays one of my favorite HP characters, Luna Lovegood) was in attendance, along with Robbie Jarvis (Young James Potter) and William Melling (Nigel). Looking older and a bit different than when we last saw them on film, Evanna, Robbie and Will were excited to be here to talk to fans.
The first question asked Evanna what she thinks would happen to Luna in 30 years. Evanna begins to answer by citing what J.K. Rowling has said about Luna’s future (She becomes a naturalist and has twin boys). Evanna agrees that being a naturalist would be exactly the kind of career that the ever-curious Luna would have.
Many other questions revolved around asking the actors for their favorite moments or experiences on set. They had plenty to share. Evanna told a story of how she needed to create a mini-business for a school project. Since Valentine’s Day was around the corner, she decided to make little Valentine boxes and asked cast members around the set if they were interested in buying any. Her mini-business exploded, and everyone was signing up for her Valentines. She says she got so overwhelmed that between takes other cast members would be helping her fold paper to make the Valentines.
Melling talked about how awed he was by the set when he first started. He even said that his first day of work was the most challenging for him because he was so nervous. But after a week, he got to know everyone and felt so comfortable. Melling was the only one of the three actors to work with more than one of the HP directors. He described working with Mike Newell as fantastic, and that he was very loud and energetic. Melling and the other actors described David Yates as very passionate and trusting of the actors.
Robbie Jarvis may have had the smallest role of the three, but he had plenty to say about the HP experience and acting in general. When I asked the actors about the costuming of the film, he talked about how James’ glasses were really what helped him get into character. He emphasized how important costuming is to him and wished that he rolled up his sleeves and made his costume more James-Potter-esque. He also said that if he got to play anyone else in Harry Potter it would have to be Severus Snape.
Overall, all of the actors expressed such love and passion for the Harry Potter books, films and experiences. It’s great of them to share all that with fans that have felt just as affected by Harry Potter as well.
Here are some select tweets from when I livetweeted the press conference earlier:
- William Melling (Nigel) says that his favorite memories was just being on set and marveling at it all.
- Evanna Lynch (Luna) loved the Room of Requirement scenes.
- If Melling could play another HP character, it would be Neville.
- Lynch would like to play Prof. Trelawney
- Lynch says she doesn’t know if she could play a bad guy.
- It was hard to say goodbye to Luna, says Lynch. She has to keep her in her life. Hasn’t really said goodbye.
- Melling would love to work with Brendan Gleeson again. Says that as an actor, he has so much impact.
- Evanna didn’t know Tom Hardy was British
- Lynch would like to work Jason Isaacs. They shared a makeup room because of their hair. Those sessions helped her be bolder.
- Imelda Staunton is another actor they would love to work with again.
- A favorite memory from set for Melling is a burping competition he had with Dan in the Great Hall.
- A challenging scene for Lynch was the Dept of Mysteries scene. She wasn’t sure how Luna would react to such a serious/dangerous scene.
- Eventually, once she understood Luna’s motives (her friends), she was able to do that scene
- Lynch says that Luna is adventurous and outgoing. Wants to see the world.
- Robbie says that Lily’s influence on James really affected him and made him a better person.
- Robbie just did a film with Andre Benjamin (Outkast) about Jimi Hendrix.
- Lynch recently moved to America. Became friends with Team Starkid.
- Lynch has a indie film with Gary Oldman coming up
- Melling is still in school and auditioning for parts. Working on the theater-side of acting.
- Robbie jokes that he would want Imelda Staunton to play him in a movie
- Lynch loved playing Luna because she had no boundaries and was very expressive. Played that up when acting.
- Melling says it was a natural process getting into Nigel’s character.
- Lynch’s favorite thing to wear was Luna’s Lion Hat.
- Melling loved his Quidditch costume