Welcome to the second recap of our re-read of Insurgent! This week we read chapters 12-22 of the book by Veronica Roth.
Side note: Today was our first Twitter chat for the re-read. Thank you so much to everyone who joined. If you missed the chat, don’t fret, because we’ll be doing another chat on Saturday, January 31st at 3pm EST to discuss the second half of Insurgent (chapters 23-47). We’ll be doing giveaways during that chat, too, so you’ll definitely want to participate with @LRW2014 and @TYFOfficial at #TYFInsurgent2.
Now on to the recap:
***Please note, this post contains spoilers***
Important parts from Chapters 12-22:
- Tris and Four are put under truth serum; Tris reveals that she killed her friend Will leading to a strain in her relationship with Christina
- First signs of tension between Tris and Four because they kept secrets from each other
- We meet Lynn and Marlene in depth (they will be new characters in the Insurgent movie!)
- Dauntless traitors attack Candor headquarters, shoot people with new simulation darts; impact is unknown
- Uriah and Marcus are both Divergent
- Tris is unable to use a gun due to emotional distress
- Jack Kang decides to negotiate with Jeanine, despite Dauntless resistance
- Tori and Zeke were spying on Erudite and the Dauntless traitors
- Four/Tobias attacks Marcus to prove he isn’t a coward
- Tris, Four, and friends eavesdrop on Kang’s meeting with Max; Lynn loses patience and shoots Max; Shauna is shot as they try to escape
- Tori, Harrison, and Four are elected Dauntless leaders; Tris declines nomination
This section of the movie will definitely have to have some small changes from the book. One of the things I am most curious to see in the movie is if the relationship between Tris and Christina is affected by the truth serum confessions. The relationship between Will and Christina was not emphasized in the Divergent movie so it’s unclear how that will affect Tris and Christina.
Many fans, myself included, are excited to finally meet the character of Uriah (Keiynan Lonsdale). It will be interesting to see how he is introduced— in the books, we meet him in Divergent. My guess is that we will learn he is Divergent when they work together during the attack on Candor. We also will meet Lynn (Rosa Salazar), who is portrayed as strong and feisty, and Marlene (Suki Waterhouse). My guess is that they will become friends with Tris while she is dealing with her disagreements with Four and keeping her distance from him.
I am very interested to see how Tris’s emotional state is represented in the film. In the book, Tris is emotionally scarred due to the loss of her parents, the situation with Will, her disagreements with Four, and Christina’s hurt feelings. I think the filmmakers should be able to portray the impact of the loss of Tris’s parents but, again, it was unclear how emotionally distraught Tris is after shooting Will in the first movie. In Insurgent, Tris is even struggling with holding a gun, something that became second nature to her in Divergent, and I hope that the filmmakers are able to portray that.
I’m also looking forward to seeing the peace negotiation between Kang and Max, especially the fact that Jeanine is telling Max what to say and Tris figures it out. I’m hoping we get to watch Shailene’s face as her character figures out that Jeanine is nearby enough to see the meeting and thus is vulnerable.
What are you most looking forward to seeing from the first half of Insurgent as a scene in the film?
Filmmakers have a hard job taking a long book and turning it into a movie – what do you think might have to be cut from the film?
Miss the introductory post to the Insurgent re-read? Here are the remaining important dates for January:
Jan 17-24: Chapters 23 through 35
Jan 24-31: Chapters 35 through 47
Lionsgate just released an exciting new Insurgent featurette focusing on Tris’s transformation. Check it out: