Allyson Johnson’s Top 10 Most Anticipated of 2017
1. Star Wars Episode VIII – Because ever since The Force Awakens ended, I was clamoring for a new, two hour adventure with Rey, Finn and Poe. With director Rian Johnson behind the camera, there’s no guessing just where the sagas latest installment will bring us, but it’s easy to expect something both stylish and larger than life while simultaneously offering up some deeper looks into these characters we’ve so instantly become attached to.
2. Sense8 Season 2 – As one of the few diehards of the Wachowski sisters, Sense8 was always on my radar but I didn’t finish the first season until this past summer. With the recent Christmas special that premiered on Netflix, introducing many of the upcoming storylines and themes of season two, it’s hard to keep that excitement at bay. With one of the best ensemble casts who share an enormous amount of chemistry and a world bounding visual narrative, Sense8 might not always be perfect, but it’s a blast to watch.
3. Landline – Obvious Child, one of my favorite films of 2014 and is one of the best films of the last 15 years, making the new team up between director Gillian Robespierre and star Jenny Slate all the more exciting.
4. The Beguiled – Sofia Coppola is one of the finest directors working today and one of the few directors allowed to share the title of auteur in a male dominated field.
5. Baby Driver – Because anything and everything directed by Edgar Wright will be on my most anticipated list, even when the film in question stars the charisma repellent Ansel Elgort. I must suffer through.
6. Lean on Pete – Andrew Haigh in just a few short years has become one of the must-see directors of our time. From Weekend to 45 Years, he’s demonstrated both an incredible empathy for his characters while also managing to produce something visually stunning and visceral.
7. iZombie Season 3 – iZombie has lowkey become of the major highlights of a reinvigorated CW slate over the past few years. Wonderfully clever scripts, visual tricks and a great cast of characters with strong chemistry has allowed the series to thrive, even if people haven’t caught on. Season two left on a major cliffhanger and truths were revealed, leaving fans wondering what on earth season three could bring.
8. Annihilation – After producing one of the best, original science fiction films in years with Ex Machina Alex Garland is back, this time, with a book adaptation. Following four women in a post apocalyptic type world, the cast is a killer one with Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac, Gina Rodriguez and more.
9. The Shape of Water – Because even after I didn’t like Crimson Peak, I will always be chasing any project of Guillermo del Toro and a film by del Toro with Michael Shannon in it is a must.
10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – I suppose there’s reason to worry that James Gunn might’ve lost his energy (or enthusiasm) when it came to the sequel of the incredibly popular Guardians of the Galaxy, but if the trailers are anything to go by, it seems like there’s only room to grow. Baby Groot alone is worth the price of admission but the main highlight from the footage shown so far is the abundance of color on screen. The best superhero films are the ones that visually pop.