Ally’s Top 5:
5. Only Lovers Left Alive – I cannot really explain why I loved this film. The style, the grace of the characters, the way the movie did not strive to capture your attention and just let the magnetic pull of Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddelston work its wonders. Beautifully shot, this film is a perfect example of a film all about its atmosphere.
4. Captain America: Winter Solider – As an absolute sucker for a good superhero movie, this one blew me away. The action scenes were balletic, the character moments revealing and universe building epic. It was an absolute thrill of a film that I could see again and again and again.
3. Like Father, Like Son – Heart-wrenching and understated, this film tells a story about the smaller moments, the silent moments and the moments that change us. Two boys are accidentally switched at birth, and the parents must decide how to move forward. See it on Netflix now.
2. How to Train Your Dragon 2 – I love a good spectacle, and I love it more if it has heart. Mixing action-adventure with good ol’ fashion coming of age drama, this sequel was more than it ever should have been and completely captured me and took me along for the ride. A lot was at stake and it delivered beautifully.
1. The Grand Budapest Hotel – So much of what this movie is worked for me. The ideas of being a man out of time, of being lost in a changing world despite hanging on to old styles of life. The color, the energy, Ralph Fienne’s Oscar worthy performance — this movie was a treat to behold.