Hi, and welcome to our third recap for our re-read of Insurgent by Veronica Roth here on The Young Folks. This week we read Chapters 23 through 35.
*** Please note, this post contains spoilers ***
In case you aren’t able to watch the video, here are some of the most important things that happened in this part of Insurgent:
- Eric is executed
- The loyal Dauntless take back their headquarters
- Four and Evelyn agree to work together as Dauntless and Factionless take down Erudite; Tris disagrees
- A simulation causes 3 people to jump off a building; Tris and Christina save two but are unable to save Marlene
- Christina finally forgives Tris
- Tris turns herself into Erudite and Jeanine to stop the suicide simulations
- Jeanine is still trying to create a simulation that controls Divergent, is using Tris as a test subject until she will be executed
- Four turns himself in as well
- Caleb is revealed as a traitor
- Peter is Tris’s main guard, appears to have an occasional soft side
- Four reveals a plan to get Tris and him out alive
- Tris’s execution is moved up; Peter tells Tris to “Be Brave,” she becomes paralyzed but doesn’t actually die
If I had to guess, this part of the movie should stay very true to the book. The biggest question I have has to do with the “box” mentioned in the movie trailer. This does not exist in the books so it is unclear what role this will play in the Insurgent movie. I wonder if this has to do with Jeanine’s testing on Divergents. From the movie trailer, it appears that Tris will still be put through simulations (the fire scene with her mother), so my guess is that the box is another way of testing the Divergent’s brain power. My other guess has to do with scenes that come later in the book: I wonder if the box contains the information that Abnegation was protecting. I guess we’ll see!
I also expect this part of the movie to be very emotional. We will have to watch people commit suicide under simulation, see Tris lie to Four, watch Tris go through emotional simulations, and learn that Caleb is a traitor. Tris is also struggling with her will to live, and I am interested to see how this is portrayed on screen. In the book, it is easy to understand just how much she is struggling because we are in Tris’s point of view. I hope that we are able to see the true emotional struggle that is going on.
What are you most looking forward to in this section of the movie?
Our last recap post for our re-read of Insurgent will be on:
Jan 24-31: Chapters 35 through 47
We’ll also be doing another Twitter chat on Saturday January 31st at 3pm EST to discuss the second half of Insurgent (Chapters 23-47). We’ll be doing giveaways during that chat, too, so you’ll definitely want to participate at #TYFInsurgent2.
Also, have you seen the incredible Insurgent posters just released by Lionsgate?
I am incredibly impressed by the Lionsgate marketing team. It seems to me that every time a new teaser/poster/trailer is released, it’s even better than the last one. Kudos to them! They sure know how to build the suspense for their fans!