The tornado has passed Cloud 9. But now we’re dealing with the repercussions of the event. When we last saw Amy (America Ferrera) and Jonah (Ben Feldman), they’d just had their “this is the end of the world” kiss, Mateo (Nico Santos) confessed his love to his boyfriend, Glenn (Mark McKinney) was announcing the employees who would be getting laid-off, and Sandra (Kaliko Kauahi) was going head-to-head with a fellow co-worker since she happened to kiss someone else’s boyfriend.
And here we are at the start of the show with a whole new Cloud 9… that’s still in the works. That is, until Glenn hops on the phone with Jeff (Michael Bunin) and realizes the store was scheduled to have a grand opening that very day. With this information, the whole team kicks it into gear to make the deadline of opening the new store in four hours. What did we learn in the meantime?
- Mateo is still unsure if Jeff heard his voicemail of him screaming, “I LOVE YOU” during the tornado. Looks like it doesn’t matter since Jeff waltzed into Cloud 9 with brand new hair and a new boyfriend. Oh, and don’t worry. Mateo got petty on him in complete Mateo fashion.
- Amy and Jonah were as awkward as ever. Until the last few minutes of the show where we discover Amy and her husband are finally getting a divorce. One step closer for Jonah!
- Speaking of Jonah, apparently his place got smothered to pieces during the storm and he’s been couch-surfing ever since. Garrett (Colton Dunn) obviously hears everything and does NOT want to share his place with Jonah. But being the (sort of) good samaritan he is, he takes him in.
- Howie Mandel is somehow tied with Cloud 9. Yeah, I’m not too sure why either, but they really wanted that America’s Got Talent plug in there.
- Glenn has come to a realization that his voice is abnormally high-pitched. Because… it’s about time someone talked about it.
- Sandra’s boyfriend is in the hospital due to the hurricane. We think he’s severely injured… Mateo and Cheyenne (Nichole Bloom) did not care to hear the rest, so we don’t know the rest either!
Ding. Ding. Ding. Four hours is up. And so is the new Cloud 9 store!
With a whole new brand store sort of intact, the employees at Cloud 9 are easing back to how things once were.
But where’s Brett?!
Oh, it’s so good to have Superstore back. It’s the type of show that’s needed and fills in the hole since The Office ended. The characters are just as funny. The storylines are just as weird and quirky. The store is still just as relatable as any other convenience store. The running storyline we’ll continue to follow throughout the season is the long standing question of the “will they/won’t they” situation of Amy and Jonah. But we’re also going to be keeping an eye/ear out on how Jonah and Garrett’s experience is now that they’re roommates. And lastly, we need an update on Sandra’s love life!
Welcome back team. *We say in Glenn’s voice*