“There would be no happy ending for us. He was too damaged. I was too broken.”
Two years ago, Lorrie’s mother was murdered. But that wasn’t the end of it. Reeling from the tragedy, Lorrie’s father spiraled into alcohol, depression, and finally suicide.
The two most important people in Lorrie’s life are both gone but she’s still alive. Trying to recover from the tragedy, Lorrie returns to campus, ready to pick up the pieces of her life. All Lorrie wants is to get back to “normal.” Then she meets Hunter. The man, the legend, “The Hammer.”
Hunter is a cage fighter who takes on every fight like he’s got nothing to lose. His life is a tangled mess of girls, booze, and fist fights. And while it may seem like he’s got a devil-may-care attitude, he’s fighting a private cage-match with a monster he can’t defeat. Lorrie knows that Hunter is exactly the type of guy she should stay away from, especially in her fragile state, but Hunter has other ideas.
As Hunter and Lorrie grow closer together, will they be able to overcome their pain and heal each other? Or will they both end up wrecked?
Grief is a hell of a thing. From “first-hand” experience, it seems like a pit that most people unknowningly fall into and only few ever get out of. There are five stages of grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and then acceptance. However, Lorrie, the protagonist of “Wrecked” appeared to show only slight depression before launching into an unbearable rant about “how messed up her life is right now and how she can’t deal with having a boyfriend like Hunter” for half of the book.
After I realized that the book had reached 60% and she was still ranting and raving, I was like… “How drastically can the book change in the remaining 40%?” and decided that even if it did, the plot would have been rushed to cover up time wasted on Lorrie treating Hunter like shit. On top of that, in the first half of the book, I’d already come to dislike the main character. So said, so done. The rest of the book dealt with Lorrie being self- oriented and unreasonably jealous. She was so pre-occupied with what other people were saying that she took gossip as truth and then reigned judgement down on Hunter. I wished I could’ve reached into the book and slapped her silly.
Despite Lorrie’s behaviour, she and Hunter actually hooked up. For a short while. I swore that since I was already half way into the book, there was no way that the author was going to bother doing a romance between the two characters. But the way she introduced the romance was extremely clumsy; one moment the two characters were like Xena and Rambo having it out and the next moment they were like lovers from a Nora Roberts novel. Not only did it throw me off a bit but I couldn’t feel the connection that the characters were supposed to have been sharing.
Regardless of being absolutely frustrated and disappointed in the way that the romance in the story was presented, there were some good sides to the story as well. Like the ending! I so did not expect Hunter to have been that “troubled”. I mean, I figured that he was doing the cage-fights to relinquish the anger he’d stored up from his past but I never knew he was carrying such a burden.
I would probably read the second part to the story just to find out if Hunter isn’tgoing to face death or any serious injuries but that’s it.
Publisher: Blackbird Publishing (December 16, 2013)
Length: 329 pages
Series: Wrecked #1
Genre: New Adult, Romance
Completed: February 2014