[tps_title]Michaela Nardo’s Top 10 Breakout Artists of 2013[/tps_title]
1. Lorde – C’mon. Lorde is all over the place: The Grammy’s, SNL spoofs, my mom’s oldies + now radio station, she blew up over the past year and has enough singles left from her album to make it well into 2014 with a song always on the Top 40. In my opinion, no one else had debuted in and taken the pop culture world by storm the way Lorde has. I can’t wait to see what she brings to the table as she continues to mature and make more new and exciting poppy, hip hoppy, techno-y music.
2. Michael B. Jordan – I’ve been a huge Michael B. Jordan since his Friday Nigh Lights days. He played the broken and talented Vince, a high school quarterback with a chance at a bright future. Michael B. Jordan broke out this year on the big screen by starring the jarring Fruitvale Station, a movie based on a true and tragic happening. It’s an Oscar-worthy performance.
3. Shailene Woodley – Woodley showed her acting chops this year. Breaking away from her “American Teenager” days, Shailene landed huge roles: Hazel Grace Lancaster in the upcoming movie version of The Fault in Our Stars, Tris in the amazingly addictive Divergent trilogy, Mary Jane in the Spiderman remakes, and the role that started it off, Aimee Finecky in the indie hit, The Spectacular Now.
4. Zedd – If “Stay the Night” isn’t in your head 24/7, I’d like to switch brains. Zedd took the EDM world by storm by releasing the catchy and dance-y “Clarity” featuring British-act, Foxes. “Stay the Night” is blowing up everywhere: Zedd has a knack for making amazing techno beats and adding a pop vocal to take the song to the mainstream level. “Lost at Sea” featuring Ryan Tedder is another example of what makes Zedd great.
5. Haim – Haim, a three-piece rock band made up of equally talented sisters, had a break-out hit with “The Wire.” Their music is as amazing as their fashion-sense and I will be forever digging their 70’s rock vibes. This trio is here to stay!
6. Rainbow Rowell – With two loved YA novels hitting the scene this year, Rainbow Rowell is one of the biggest names in the genre.
7. Brie Larson – Brie Larson has been on the radar for a while. She made a splash in 21 Jump Street but her break-through performance comes from Short Term 12, a film that shouldn’t be missed.
8. Miles Teller – Starring alongside Shailene Woodley in The Spectacular Now, Miles Teller provides a wonderful performance that shows he’s geared for stardom.
9. SNL Comedy Geniuses, Kyle Mooney, Beck Bennett, and Aidy Bryant – I have a crush on all of 2013 Featured Players of SNL. Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney are two of my absolute favorites and are poised to strike comedy gold. Often referred to as “the next Lonely Island” Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett started out making YouTube videos together (with the help of their equally hilarious partner, Nick) under the moniker GoodNeighborStuff in 2006. They all went on to make their own YouTube gold, and had small parts in awesomely funny TV shows like Hello, Ladies, Arrested Development, and Parks and Recreation, and finally landed the job on SNL. Their skits are already making us laugh and a little uncomfortable, The GoodNeighbor specialty. Aidy Bryant joined the cast in 2011 and has been making us laugh ever since. Since becoming a full-time cast member, Aidy has been featured in so many hilarious skits, but one of my personal favorites is when Aidy hosts one of the popular skit, “The Girlfriend Talk Show.”
10. Tavi Gevinson – Tavi Gevinson started “breaking-out” in 2011, when she paired with Sassy founding editor, Jane Pratt to start an online indie magazine for young girls and guys. In 2012 she gave her first Tedx talk for teens. A writer, blogger, business woman, and fashion-icon at only 17, Tavi Gevinson is the editor of one of the biggest online magazines which influences young girls throughout the world. Rookie continues to grow and Gevinson continues to influence and become one of the youngest and greatest indie darlings.