5 Reasons to read ‘The Shadow Queen’
1. Maps! Y’all love maps. This book comes with a beautifully detailed, gorgeously illustrated map of the world described in the novel.
2. Fairytale retellings have been all the rage recently, and are much loved by so many of us in the book community. ‘The Shadow Queen’ is a new take on the tale of Snow White, involving evil aunts/step-mothers, poisonous apples, magic mirrors and a reluctant huntsman.
3. Magical creatures galore! We have dragons, ogres, gyrfalcons, telepathic pet vipers… you know you’re intrigued.
4. The heroine, Lorelai – while blessed with somewhat unique magical powers, she doesn’t act like your typical special snowflake. Loyal to her people and those who have helped her, she’s a careful planner, working out her next moves instead of leaping head first into situations – a rather refreshing change!
5. Last, but not least, our hero Kol – fun-loving second son who is suddenly forced to assume the mantle of responsibility when his parents and older brother are tragically killed. It’s wonderful to watch his character development as he pours heart and soul into saving his kingdom from destruction.
Lorelai Diederich, crown princess and fugitive at large, has one mission: kill the wicked queen who took both the Ravenspire throne and the life of her father. To do that, Lorelai needs to use the one weapon she and Queen Irina have in common—magic. She’ll have to be stronger, faster, and more powerful than Irina, the most dangerous sorceress Ravenspire has ever seen.
In the neighboring kingdom of Eldr, when Prince Kol’s father and older brother are killed by an invading army of magic-wielding ogres, the second-born prince is suddenly given the responsibility of saving his kingdom. To do that, Kol needs magic—and the only way to get it is to make a deal with the queen of Ravenspire, promise to become her personal huntsman…and bring her Lorelai’s heart.
But Lorelai is nothing like Kol expected—beautiful, fierce, and unstoppable—and despite dark magic, Lorelai is drawn in by the passionate and troubled king. Fighting to stay one step ahead of the dragon huntsman—who she likes far more than she should—Lorelai does everything in her power to ruin the wicked queen. But Irina isn’t going down without a fight, and her final move may cost the princess the one thing she still has left to lose.
1 winner will receive a signed finished copy of THE SHADOW QUEEN and swag. US Only.
C.J. Redwine loves fairy tales, Harry Potter, and Sherlock. She is the author of the Defiance trilogy, a post-apocalyptic fantasy from Balzer + Bray. C.J. lives in Nashville with her husband and children. If the novel writing gig ever falls through, she’ll join the Avengers and wear a cape to work every day. To learn more about C.J., visit her website at www.cjredwine.com Where you can find C.J.:
Title: THE SHADOW QUEEN
Author: C.J. Redwine
Pub. Date: February 16, 2016
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: Hardcover, eBook
2/8/2016- Adventures of a Book Junkie– Interview
2/9/2016- The Irish Banana Review– Review
2/10/2016- Once Upon a Twilight– Guest Post
2/11/2016- A Backwards Story– Review
2/12/2016- Two Chicks on Books– Guest Post
2/15/2016- The Young Folks– Review
2/16/2016- Mundie Moms– Interview
2/17/2016- Supernatural Snark– Review
2/18/2016- Maria V. Snyder– Interview
2/19/2016- Fiktshun– Guest Post