As part of the Throne of Glass Blog Tour, we’re super excited to bring you today’s post. As you know, The Young Folks loves their Top Ten lists, and we’re super excited that Throne of Glass author Sarah J. Maas has shared with us a Top Ten list of her own.
List your top ten favorite novels – quick one sentence (or less) about why you think so.
Only ten!? Gahhh! Such a hard list to compile…But, in no particular order…
1. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle: Hands down, it’s the most beautiful book I’ve ever read. It breaks my heart every single time I read it (and I’m kinda/sorta/definitely obsessed with the animated film version, too).
2. Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip: Another unbelievably gorgeous fantasy novel. I cried and cried and cried over the beauty of McKillip’s prose, and the heart-shattering story she tells.
3. Wit’ch Fire by James Clemens: I was twelve when I read this book, and it was my introduction to the world of high fantasy. It’s a classic story of good vs. evil, and a beautiful coming of age tale.
4. Sabriel (and Lirael) by Garth Nix: Oh, where do I begin? I also read Sabriel when I was twelve, and became instantly obsessed. Sabriel and Lirael (its sequel) were actually major influences on Throne of Glass (the creepy books, forgotten libraries, the supernatural elements).
5. The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop: I don’t even know how to sum up my feelings about this incredible series in a few sentences..But it’s a brilliant, brilliant adult fantasy series with my FAVORITE male lead of all time (Lucivar Yaslana).
6. The Queen’s Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner: I recently read this series, and was head over heels in love by page 3 of the first book. I am in AWE of Turner’s genius, and totally in love with Gen!
7. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley: This book was a huge, huge influence on me, not only as a writer, but also as a young woman. Amazing, amazing book.
8. Archangel by Sharon Shinn: I’ve only discovered Sharon Shinn in the past few years, but I am now a MAJOR fan. Archangel is the first book in her Samaria series, and is just…beautiful. Imaginative, thought-provoking, romantic… I loved it.
9. Finnikin of the Rock/Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta: Okay, I’m cheating and listing two books at once, but Melina Marchetta’s Lumatere Chronicles are astoundingly good. They make me proud to be a YA fantasy author.
10. The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander: Another series I’m at a loss to describe. But, in a nutshell, I pretty much learned every life lesson from Taran Wanderer (the 4th book). Words can’t express how much I love this series.
If you didn’t know already, her debut novel Throne of Glass releases tomorrow. So if for some unfathomable reason, you don’t already have it pre-ordered, you can do it through here. Or just head to your local bookstore tomorrow. Whatever the case, you gotta check out Throne of Glass, one of this year’s most epic novels! If you need further convincing… Read my review of Throne of Glass here.
In addition, we’re giving away an ARC of Throne of Glass! To enter to win, fill out the Rafflecopter widget below. The more tasks you complete, the more entries you receive. The contest ends August 12th. Good luck!
Thank you for entering!