Welcome to our final week of our re-read of Insurgent by Veronica Roth! This week we read Chapters 36 to the end.
Important things that happened in this section:
- Tris, Tobias, and Peter escape from Erudite headquarters
- Marcus reveals to Tris the real reason her mother was out the night she was killed: she was looking to protect information from being erased by Jeanine
- The plan to attack Erudite is announced; Tris and Christina feel that something isn’t right about the plan
- Tris, Christina, and Marcus travel to Amity to try and recruit them for help. Amity refuses to join but Johanna and a few others leave Amity to help, including Cara and some Erudite
- Candor members are put under simulation by Jeanine to protect Erudite headquarters
- Tris, Christina, Cara, and Marcus make it into Erudite headquarters
- Caleb tries to stop them, Marcus knocks him unconscious
- Tris fights herself in a simulation created by Jeanine to protect her laboratory, but eventually discovers how to get through
- Tori kills Jeanine, Tris is labeled a traitor, and Tobias is hurt by Tris’s betrayal of working with Marcus
- Tobias comes around and realizes Tris must have been right so he forces Caleb to get Jeanine’s computer to play the video message Jeanine was trying so hard to keep away from society
- It is revealed how their society was created, what is beyond the fence, and that Tris’s family has been involved from the beginning
I expect that the last quarter of the movie will be very action filled and emotional. Between the escape from Erudite headquarters, the trip to Amity, and the attack on Erudite, there is a lot going on in this part of the story. Emotionally, Caleb is still betraying Tris and Tris decides to work with Marcus despite Tobias’s past. I am most looking forward to seeing the simulation that Tris goes through to get to Jeanine’s office and to the message that tells what is outside the fence.
The beginning of Insurgent will most likely have some differences due to changes made in the Divergent movie, but at this point, the major changes made should already have been addressed. If I had to guess, the mysterious “box” mentioned in the Insurgent trailers will have some kind of important role. My best guess is that is has something to do with the message that is given by Edith Prior at the end of the book or that it has something to do with Jeanine’s testing of simulations on Divergent. Since we don’t know what role the box plays, I can’t say for sure, but my instinct says that this part of the movie should stay true to the book, at least according to what we’ve seen in the trailers.
Thank you to everyone who joined in our re-read of Insurgent, especially those who participated in our Twitter chats! Next month we will be re-reading Divergent for a refresher of what lead to Insurgent. Details to come soon!
We are now less than two months away from the premiere of Insurgent on March 20, 2015! What are you most looking forward to in the movie?
Tickets go on sale February 25, 2015!
Each advance ticket purchase transaction for INSURGENT in the first 24 hours on Fandango, MovieTickets.com, AMCTheatres.com, and Cinemark.com will receive a download of the blockbuster first installment of the “Divergent” franchise. In addition, Lionsgate has partnered with Fandango to offer more than 50,000 additional gifts with purchase for ticket transactions with 24-hour flash sales each following week leading up to release. Prizes include downloads from the “Divergent” book series, exclusive tracks from the film’s soundtrack, and more.