Welcome to the blog tour for Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore! Today we’re sharing our top 10 reasons to read this unique novel:
- Choose your own adventure – The closest descriptor I’ve been able to come up with for Jane, Unlimited is that it’s almost like a choose-your-own-adventure YA novel. There’s one cohesive story line at the beginning and then Jane comes to a point where she needs to make a choice. At that point, it splits off into five different paths that Jane could take and while you’re supposed to read all five, it’s so fun to see how one decision can really change the outcome for Jane.
- Jane – Jane is a smart and curious main character and I honestly just really enjoyed reading about her.
- Kiran – Jane’s former tutor and (new) friend clearly has many layers to her life and peeling them back to uncover the truth of who Kiran is had me hooked.
- Tu Reviens – This is not a normal mansion; Tu Reviens is basically another character in Jane, Unlimited and it plays a surprisingly large role in the story – who would guess that a mansion would have so much power?
- Magic – I can’t say much without spoiling plot points but everything is not as it seems in Jane, Unlimited. You’ll have to suspend your disbelief but it is 100% worth it to read about the magic woven throughout the stories.
- Umbrellas – Jane spends her free time making elaborately decorated umbrellas. I loved trying to visualize the designs she was creating and this unique hobby makes Jane stand out from other main characters in YA.
- Different genres – Not only is Jane, Unlimited unique in its choose-your-own-adventure format but that’s not the only thing that makes it special. Each different path that Jane can take is written in a different genre – mystery, horror, science fiction, etc. It adds another layer of excitement to Jane’s story.
- Romance – Jane, Unlimited is not a “romance” story per se but there is enough woven in throughout the sections to keep things interesting. I especially loved Jane and Ivy’s relationship – you’ll have to read to find out why!
- Aunt Magnolia – While the premise of Jane, Unlimited is based on the fact that Aunt Magnolia disappeared a few months ago on an expedition to Antarctica, her presence is still felt in Jane’s thoughts and decision-making process and we get a good sense of who she was and how she raised the Jane we know in the story.
- Jane, Unlimited keeps you on your toes – I’ve never read a book like Jane, Unlimited and as far as I know, there aren’t any other young adult books like this. Important factors are different in each section and you can’t always rely on facts you learned previously, as things change when people make different decisions – you never know entirely what to expect and that’s part of what makes Jane, Unlimited so much fun to read.
About the book:
The highly anticipated standalone from the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of the Graceling Realm series—a kaleidoscopic novel about grief, adventure, storytelling, and finding yourself in a world of seemingly infinite choices.
Jane has lived an ordinary life, raised by her aunt Magnolia—an adjunct professor and deep sea photographer. Jane counted on Magnolia to make the world feel expansive and to turn life into an adventure. But Aunt Magnolia was lost a few months ago in Antarctica on one of her expeditions.
Now, with no direction, a year out of high school, and obsessed with making umbrellas that look like her own dreams (but mostly just mourning her aunt), she is easily swept away by Kiran Thrash—a glamorous, capricious acquaintance who shows up and asks Jane to accompany her to a gala at her family’s island mansion called Tu Reviens.
Jane remembers her aunt telling her: “If anyone ever invites to you to Tu Reviens, promise me that you’ll go.” With nothing but a trunkful of umbrella parts to her name, Jane ventures out to the Thrash estate. Then her story takes a turn, or rather, five turns. What Jane doesn’t know is that Tu Reviens will offer her choices that can ultimately determine the course of her untethered life. But at Tu Reviens, every choice comes with a reward, or a price.
About the author:
Kristin Cashore grew up in the northeast Pennsylvania countryside as the second of four daughters. She received a bachelor’s degree from Williams College and a master’s from the Center for the Study of Children’s Literature at Simmons College, and she has worked as a dog runner, a packer in a candy factory, an editorial assistant, a legal assistant, and a freelance writer. She has lived in many places (including Sydney, New York City, Boston, London, Austin, and Jacksonville, Florida), and she currently lives in the Boston area. Her epic fantasy novels set in the Graceling Realm–Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue–have won many awards and much high praise, including picks as ALA Best Books for Young Adults, School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Booklist Editors Choice, and Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year. In addition, Graceling was shortlisted for the William C. Morris Debut Award and Fire is an Amelia Elizabeth Walden Book Award Winner.
Enter for a chance to be one (1) of three (3) winners to receive a hardcover copy of Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore. (ARV: $18.99 each).
a Rafflecopter giveaway
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Enter between 12:00 AM Eastern Time on September 11, 2017 and 12:00 AM on October 9, 2017. Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia who are 13 and older. Winners will be selected at random on or about October 11, 2017. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Blog Tour Schedule: