After listening to Ed Sheeran’s beautiful rendition of Beyonce’s “Drunk in Love”, I remembered that there are many covers done by other artists that are just as great. Granted, most of these covers happen at radio shows, and after doing a little bit of research, BBC Radio 1 seems to get some of the best ones. I created a list of what I consider the best covers of modern song hits by other fellow artists! Check it out!
1. Ed Sheeran – “Drunk in Love” (Beyonce Ft Jay Z)
This one caught me completely off guard while I was on my way to work listening to the Elvis Duran Morning Show. Absolutely beautiful cover!
2. John Mayer – “XO” (Beyonce)
One of my favorite songs from Beyonce’s self-titled album that sounds just as great with John Mayer’s voice.
3. Bastille – “No Scrubs” (TLC)
Okay, this isn’t a modern song, but it’s a modern R&B classic? Yes? You really can’t go wrong with doing a TLC cover. I hope they do “Waterfalls” next!
4. Kings of Leon – “Dancing On My Own” (Robyn)
This is one of my absolute favorite covers of this whole list. Robyn is such an underrated artist and “Dancing On My Own” had the potential of being such an anthem. I loved how Kings of Leon performed this one. So, so great!
5. Rudimental – “Story of My Life” (One Direction)
Take any boy band song and have another group or singer perform it and you’ll be amazed at how much you actually like their music.
6. Usher – “Pumped Up Kicks” (Foster The People)
I want an Usher and Foster The People collab.
7. Miguel – “Just Like A Pill” (Pink)
After listening to this version, you’ll look up Pink’s version and debate which one is better.
8. Arctic Monkeys – “Hold On, We’re Going Home” (Drake)
Another favorite for obvious reasons. Looking at you, Alex Turner.
9. Miley Cyrus – “Summertime Sadness” (Lana Del Rey)
There’s no denying that Miley has a great voice, and this cover is amazing, to the point that Miley is actually covering it at her concerts.
10. Ellie Goulding – “Mirrors” (Justin Timberlake)
I would have never even thought of “Mirrors” performed by someone else besides JT. Ellie’s voice on this cover is beautiful as always!
11. Vampire Weekend – “Blurred Lines” (Robin Thicke)
What if…Vampire Weekend performed this song instead of Robin Thicke?
12. Bruno Mars – “Valerie” (Amy Winehouse)
From the VMA tribute to the great Amy Winehouse. Bruno Mars also included this cover as part of his tour.
13. Chvrches – “Do I Wanna Know?” (Arctic Monkeys)
Chvrches did a nice twist on this song!
Well, what do you guys think? What other covers do you think should have been on this list? Let me know in the comments!