It’s been a while since I tuned in to ABC Family, last time I watched a show here was back when “Pretty Little Liars” season 1 ended, I never really liked “The Secret Life of The American Teenager” to be honest, and you know the regular re-runs of Harry Potter movies, but that’s pretty much it. If it wasn’t because I was incredibly sick on a Saturday night and my mom in her efforts to find something good on TV felt intrigued by “Jane by Design“, I’d never have known that this show was so much fun. Good thing that during this Saturday night, they had a marathon of the first four episodes and I caught up with everything, and guys, don’t believe that just because a show is from ABC Family is bound to be bad or just pretty people trying to act. You know what? “Jane by Design” managed to keep me thoroughly entertained and here are my top five reasons why you should check it out.
1. Did you like “The Devil Wears Prada“? Hold on, I know comparisons are of course not proportional, but hear me out: remember Andy (Anne Hathaway) being super clueless in the fashion world? Quirky, naïve and awkward but still managed to impress Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep)? Well, in this case Jane is definitely NOT clueless, knows exactly what to wear but the awkwardness comes along when she lands a job (instead of an internship she applied for) and becomes the assistant to Gray, who will be your lighter version of Miranda.
2. Instead of being “confused” between two guys, “Jane by Design” is not by any means a Twilight-esque love triangle. In fact, at this point in the series she is pretty much oblivious to the fact that there might be two guys interested in her, add to the bunch a third one, and while I was watching the first episode and thought it was predictable, it isn’t. There’s enough boy drama for all. Side note: Billy (Nick Roux) is so cute!
3. High school and your dream job. How do you do it!?! Think about it: you’re a senior in high school, and you land your dream job. That not only is paying you around $10K a month when you live with just your brother and are trying to find a way to make ends meet. The whole routine that Jane has to do in order to make it in the fashion industry as well as not missing out in her high school experiences is one to definitely watch.
4. Drama at high school, okay. Drama at work however, now here’s where the thing gets good. Supporting your boss or impressing the girl at work who wants to bring you down? While at the same time covering the fact that you don’t even have a Bachelor’s degree and working at a job that people would die for.
5. THE FASHION!! The main reason why I love this show so much is because of the clothes that they show which are all great and gets me excited to tune in for the next episode. I want to see Jane make it in the fashion industry as well as in high school and beyond.
If you’re down to watch a fun, entertaining TV show full of fashion, this is it!
You can watch “Jane by Design” on ABC Family, Tuesdays 9PM EST/ 8PM CST