Every year, American Horror Story show runner Ryan Murphy stays fairly tight-lipped about the details of the upcoming season. We get information in bits and pieces, never amounting to much but holding us over until the premiere in October. It’s almost September, and with the new season set to start in just over a month we finally seem to have a small idea of what AHS: Freak Show will be like.
Here’s what we know so far about the fourth season of the FX Horror Anthology:
- It will premiere on Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- It will mostly take place in Jupiter, Florida in 1952, but it will be a combination of two time periods.
- Jessica Lange will be back for her last season on the show playing Elsa Mars, a German ex-pat who is managing one of the last freak shows in the U.S.
- It will be much darker than AHS: Coven was.
- Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett, and Frances Conroy will all be returning as performers in Lange’s show.
- Denis O’Hare, Emma Roberts, Jamie Brewer, and Gabourey Sidibe will also be returning.
- Michael Chiklis will join the cast this season as strongman Wendell del Toredo, Evan Peters’s father and the ex-husband of Kathy Bates’s character. Angela Bassett will play Chiklis’s current wife, seemingly pitting Bassett against Bates again this year.
- Wes Bentley will appear in the two part Halloween episode as Eddie, a dark tormentor from Kathy Bates’s past who is hell-bent on revenge.
- John Carroll Lynch will play the big villain of the season, who is said to be scarier than any of the past AHS villains. It is rumored that he will be a super creepy clown killer.
- Jyoti Amge will be joining the cast as the world’s smallest woman in the Freak Show.
- Finn Wittrock, Patti LaBelle, and Matt Bomer will also be joining the cast this season.
- Sarah Paulson will be a part of the Freak Show, playing conjoined twins Bette and Dot.
- Ryan Murphy has directed the first episode, something he hasn’t done since the first season.
- FX describes the upcoming season: “‘American Horror Story: Freak Show’ begins its tale in the quiet, sleepy hamlet of Jupiter, Florida. The year is 1952. A troupe of curiosities has just arrived to town, coinciding with the strange emergence of a dark entity that savagely threatens the lives of townsfolk and freaks alike. This is the story of the performers and their desperate journey of survival amidst the dying world of the American carny experience.”
- We’ve just recently been given our first official photo of the cast in character:
- We’ve also been given four official short teaser videos so far:
I don’t know about you guys, but I can’t wait to see this season! Let us know in the comments what you’re looking forward to most about this season of American Horror Story.
American Horror Story: Freak Show will premiere Wednesday October 8, 2014 on FX.