I absolutely love Game of Thrones and was beyond captivated and impressed with Season 2 of the show. Now that it’s over, I reflected back on this epic season and named some of my favorite scenes and moments. It was difficult narrowing this list down to only 10 moments. Season 2 was a bounty of excellent television. But after gathering some input from the TYF staff and friends, here are my Top 10 Game of Thrones Season 2 Moments:
10. Jon Snow & Ygritte Snuggle – I really found their scenes to be funny and interesting. One of the things I love about Game of Thrones are all the strong female characters, and Ygritte seems to be another one. I loved how she kept testing, teasing and turning on the very serious Jon Snow. It was great to watch him squirm, especially during that snuggling scene.
9. Theon Greyjoy Getting Knocked Out By His Fellow Soldiers – Poor, poor Theon. The man is just out of his mind. For once, we see Theon truly rising to the occasion, trying with all his might to inspire his soldiers. Right when he’s at the apex of his speech, THUMP. It was hilarious and pretty pathetic for Theon.
8. Jamie Lannister Kills His Cousin To Escape the Stark Prison – Whatever you might think or feel about Jamie, you can’t deny the man is charming. In his very few scenes, you definitely see it, in particular during the conversation he has with his also imprisoned cousin. I found that conversation to be so captivating that I almost forgot about the kind of man Jamie is. Then he kills his cousin, and I was reminded.
7. Arya Stark & Tywin Lannister Conversations – The interactions between Tywin and Arya were probably my favorite to watch. I could watch a whole episode of just those two talking. Their exchanges were impeccably written and acted. You already love Arya, but through their chats, you can’t help to form a bit of respect for Tywin, despite who is.
6. Melisandre Gives Birth To A Monster – …What. The. Fuck. This scene will definitely go down as one of the most memorable Game of Thrones’ episode endings ever.
5. Tyrion Tells 2 Lies and a Truth – Tyrion is my favorite character on the show, and I love when he schemes! This particular sequence was one of my favorites, just because it was so simply clever. He tells Littlefinger, Varys and Pycelle three different stories to find out which one will rat out to Cersei about it. No one knows how to play the game of thrones as well as Tyrion does.
4. The White Walker Army – Right when you forget all about the White Walkers, here they come as an army, ready to kill and invade. It was creepy and the special effects were pretty good. Great way to end the season.
3. Arya Stark’s Deal with Jaqen H’ghar – I pretty much loved all of Arya’s scenes, but my favorites were her dealings with Jaqen H’ghar. After saving his life, Jaqen repays the debt by agreeing to kill 3 men of Arya’s choice. When on her last kill, she names Jaqen H’ghar, but will only take it back if he agrees to help her escape. It showcased Arya’s utter brilliance, and I couldn’t help but love her more afterward. Plus, that final scene with the face-changing was amazing.
2. Daenerys and Her (Finally) Fire-Breathing Dragons Defeat Qarth – When Daenerys is locked in chains, her baby dragons come to her rescue, by finally breathing fire. It was so impressive when it happened that I yelled “MOTHER OF DRAGONS.” Then, she gets back at the King of Qarth by locking him up in his “treasure” vault. As TYF staffer, Melissa, said, “I find it ironic that the king once told her that the road to success isn’t always honorable and she ended up locking him into his death. Khaleesi is now doing what she needs to do—playing the ‘game’ just as dirty as these men! YES!”
1. Wildfire (Or pretty much the entire Blackwater episode) – Another one of Tyrion’s utterly brilliant plans. The wildfire explosion took my breath away. The amazing green explosion was an awesome way to begin the Battle of Blackwater. As a whole, the Blackwater episode was the best of season (and possibly entire series so far). Usually, I take a look at my phone or talk to someone during the episodes. I swear, the entire episode, my eyes were glued to my television screen. Epic.
Honorable Mention: Cersei, Tyrion Slap Joffrey & The Hound’s “Fuck the king” – I know I’m kind of cheating with this honorable mention, but can you blame me? That little shit getting hurt, slapped, or told off makes my week. It was great when Cersei slapped him, it was even greater when Tyrion slapped him, and when The Hound says “Fuck the Kings Guard, fuck the city, fuck the King,” I cheered.
What were your favorite Game of Thrones scenes from Season2? Sound off in the comments!