Maxwell Haddad’s Top 10 Video Games of 2014 (To hear him talk about them make sure to watch the video on the first page):
- Sunset Overdrive (XBOX One) – A violent, candy-colored concoction of Parkour, shoot ’em up, open world exploring, and energy drinks gone bad. It’s ridiculous, but that’s what sets it apart. An incredibly fun, well executed game that’s never dour.
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (WII U) – This spin off of Super Mario Bros. 3D land is an incredibly clever and engaging puzzler that can be described with no term other than “adorable.”
- Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) – The best traditional platformer of the year may be Kirby’s best game yet.
- Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) – The newest entry in this classic kart racing series is the most challenging one yet, and always the most refined. Terrific courses, great online play, and solid driving mechanics.
- Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) – Like Mario Kart, this new Smash Bros. game takes what worked in the past and amplifies it for the hardware capabilites of the Wii U. Fantastic madcap fighting with an amazing amount of content: the courses, characters, mini games, and online play never tire.
- Trials Fusion (PS4) – This side scrolling motocross game is almost a cross between a platformer and a puzzler. The level design is ingenious and rather challenging.
- Monument Valley (iOS) – This iPhone game is charming, whimsical, and highly satisfying, proving that smart phone gaming has depth to be explored.
- Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (PS4) – I am an avid fan of the Lego series of video games, and this newest entry featuring DC characters is as goofy and well designed as one would expect. Best of all, the likes of Conan, Kevin Smith, and Stephen Amell from TV’s Arrow show up to lend their talents.
- Infamous: Second Son (PS4) – Although not quite as excellent as expected, this next generation version of the Infamous series is still a strong action game, with visuals that beautifully show of the capability of the PS4 and a complex lead character.
- The Evil Within (PS4) – It’s really, really scary.