[tps_title]Gabrielle Bondi’s Top 10 Breakout Artists of 2013[/tps_title]
1. Ryan Coogler – I was so lucky to meet Ryan Coogler after a screening of his amazing film, Fruitvale Station. This new filmmaker is definitely someone who wowed me with his talent and approach to art. I can’t wait to see what he does in the future.
2. Rainbow Rowell – This author has had an incredible year, releasing two exceptional novels that I will always hold dear. (Oh my God, that rhymed.) The first was the heartfelt Eleanor and Park, which is the kind of book that feels so rare you treasure just after a few pages. The other book is Fangirl, which hits all the right feelings about loving what you love and learning to accept and take part in the real world.
3. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – This musical duo seemingly came out of nowhere and exploded on the scene with witty lyricism and awesome produced tracks. Major points for becoming a huge thing without the support of a giant record label.
4. Lupita Nyong’o – All of the performances in Steve McQueen’s 12 Years A Slave are noteworthy. But for me, the shining star is Lupita Nyong’o. Once she hits the screen, you’re just entranced by her. She’s a major star in the making, and I’m looking forward to the roles she tackles next.
5. Lorde – This 17 year old girl may not be a royal, but her talent makes her a queen. Her soulful voice and relatable lyrics make her standout out amongst the pop songstresses of our day.
6. Oscar Isaac – I first took note of Isaac a couple years ago with Drive, and I’m happy to see since then that he’s found his way into interesting roles, such as his latest one in Inside Llewyn Davis. This affable new star is surely one to keep watching.
7. Dane DeHaan – There’s something about Dane DeHaan that I find captivating. His screen presence is huge and you can see that in all his films, but most especially The Place Beyond the Pines.
8. Tatiana Maslany – I LOVE HER. Being a huge fan of BBC America’s Orphan Black, there’s no doubt that I love the show’s star, Tatiana Maslany. She astounds me in every episode, effortlessly transition from character to character, as she plays a group of clones with very different personalities.
9. Haim – This band made up of three sisters is one of my favorite music discoveries of the year. Their sound is so cool and refreshing. I love their entire album and can’t wait for them to really blow up on the scene.
10. Miles Teller – Shailene Woodley may be getting the most acclaim for The Spectacular Now, but I personally found Miles Teller’s performance the most worthy of recognition. In general, Teller has been a young talent, waiting around to stretch out his abilities. He got to do that in Rabbit Hole a few years ago, but this year, he really did that in The Spectacular Now.